Monday, July 16, 2012

Getting Crafty with Maps

So after all of the talk about traveling I decided to try out some craft ideas using maps. I love maps almost as much as I love traveling and since I have some lying around I thought it would be fun to do something with them. I found a website with a few different crafts that could be done with maps. One of them was to use marbles and mod podge to make your own magnets. I thought the finished product looked really neat so I chose that for my craft project. 

This is what I started out with. The wood words were a different craft project, but I had today off so it became a general craft day.


I'm sad to say that I do not have very many maps lying around and the ones that I do have are not very colorful. Generally, I like those kind of maps, but they do not stand out very well as magnets. So I used the internet to download a few maps. I found some historic maps that were pretty cool, but since they were downloaded they are not the best quality. I decided that they worked fine and made a couple magnets out of them. Then I thought I would have fun and bring out my nerdy side and I found a map of Middle Earth. I think those turned out to be my favorite magnets. Here is the finished magnets. It was hard to get a good picture of them so you get the less detailed picture.


After I finished the magnets I moved on to the words. All I wanted to do with them was paint them. Nothing too exciting there. Someday I might actually hang them up, but I don't really have a good place for them at the moment, so they will just lay around my room. 


Those are the results of my crafty day. Next I will work on my dragon and wizard cross stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment